- the goal of life should be to find yourself; true maturity means discovering
or creating an identity for yourself.
- the highest virtue is to be true to yourself
- when you fall ill, your body is trying to tell you something; listen to the
wisdom of your body.
- people who hate their bodies or are in tension with them need to learn how
to accept and integrate their physical selves with their minds instead of
seeing them as in tension with each other. the mind and body make up a
- sexuality is not the opposite of virtue, but a natural gift that needs to be
developed and integrated into a healthy, rounded life.
- many people suffer from impaired self-esteem; they need to work on being
proud of themselves.
- knowledge and strength are greater virtues than humility and submission.
- overcoming feelings of guilt is an important step to mental health.
- love your enemies because they bring out the best in you.
- you can't love someone else if you don't love yourself.
- life is short; experience it as intensely as you can or it is wasted.
- people's values are shaped by the cultures they live in; as society changes
we need changed values.
- challenge yourself; don't live passively.
dalai lama's instructions for life
- take into account that great love and great achievements involve great risk
- when you lose, dont lose the lesson
- follow the 3 rs: respect for self, respect for others and responsibility for all your actions
- remember that not getting what you want is sometimes a wonderful stroke of luck
- learn the rules so you know how to break them properly
- don't let a little dispute injure a great friendship
- when you realise you've made a mistake, take immediate steps to correct it
- spend sometime alone every day
- open your arms to change, but dont let go of your values
- remember that silence is sometime the best answer
- live a good, honourable life. then when you get older and think back, you'll be able to enjoy it a second time.
- a loving atmosphere in your home is the foundation for your life.
- in disagreements with loved ones, deal only with the current situation. don't bring up the past
- share your knowledge. its a way to achieve immortality
- be gentle with the earth
- once a year, go some place you've never been before.
- remember that the best relationship is one in which your love for each other exceeds your need for each other
- judge your success by what you had to give up in order to get it
- approach love and cooking with reckless abandon
- In Italy for thirty years under the Borgias they had warfare,
terror, murder, bloodshed.they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the
Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love, five hundred years of
democracy and peace, and what did they produce? The cuckoo clock!
-- orson wells, the third man (origin: hungarian play?)